Thursday, October 23, 2008

Eye Tattoos...gross


As I was getting a little more information on tattoos for my last blog, I came across something that kind of grossed me out, so I thought I should share it with you. You can actually get tattoos on your eyes. Yes, the whites of your eyes. Traditionally this was only done by doctors on patients who had suffered a scratch or scar on the cornea and needed color put back into thier eye. Most doctors will not do this; it is a rarity. However, there are tattoo artists now who will do this for anyone who wants it done. They can color in the whites of your eyes by putting ink into the cornea. This was attempted with a tattoo gun but the ink would not stay in the eye. So, they dilute the ink and inject it into your eye with a different sized needle and syringe.

I think this is pretty gross, and I don't know why you would want your eyes to be colored. Not to mention this probably hurts a lot. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have needles poked into my eyes repeatedly. It is very dangerous too. There are many risks involved including hemorrhaging, infections, and blindness. I know I would not want infections in my eyes. All this being said, I think eye tattoos are a pretty stupid idea. (I couldn't put up a picture of the needle going into the eyeball. It was too gross.)
(Dr. Positano, 2007)
To learn more about how gross this is visit:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought that could be possible to change the color of your eye. People don't do laser eye surgery because fear of going blind, and these people are just changing the color of their eyes which could cause blindness. Thats pretty messed up I think too.

Lori Disco said...

WOW...this blog scared me! I knew there are many creative ways for people to get tatoos, but never though about it in the eyes! I agree that this could put people at high ricks for many infectious diseases. There needs to be more tha Sanitation!
Interesting Blog :)

Cathleen Burke said...

The things people do to change who they are. This is a huge risk that I can't believe people are willing to take. Also, what if you get sick of it? It is not like any other tatoo that you could cover up. This does not seem like a procedure that should be legal because of the risks alone. neat topic.

Adam said...

That is a scary idea. What would happen to you if the tattoo artist slips up a bit? I can only imagine the pain. Another thing i wonder about is what will happen after 30 or 40 years? Will you encounter problems with it? Seems a little too dangerous for me.

Rconroy4917 said...

WOw that is something i would certainly NOT do. i have twotattoos now and i could never imagine that pain going into my eye. i mean your eyes are one of the first things pople see when they meet you. you defineatly cannot hide a tattoo like that.

Jon Jordan said...

It grossed me out reading the title. I'm pretty optimistic about getting a tattoo on my body, never the less on my eye. If people are crazy enough to do it, I'm sure there is a market for it.

CJ Franklin said...

Very Interesting topic. I never knew you could even do that. It sounds gross and like it would hurt a lot.

CJ Franklin said...

Interesting topic. I never knew you could even do that. It sounds very gross and also like it would hurt a lot.

Mahayana said...

I don't see why that would be gross, if done safe and correctly, I think it would be pretty cool. the blue eyes look awesome.